Machinery Used: Table Saw, Band Saw, Planer, Sanders etc.    /      Programs Used: Rhinoceros and Keyshot    /
Date of Completion: Fall 2017

The purpose of this project was to bend concrete. After deciding to make a nightstand, I came up with different designs with the basis of the bended concrete being the table top and leg. After rendering many designs, I chose the one most suitable that balanced both aesthetic design with durability and strength. The finished product is very clean and sleek-looking, yet has a very interesting raw touch to it due to the concrete finish. It is a one-of-a-kind piece that you can't see anywhere else. 
Materials:
The concrete mix consists of:
 Portland Cement, Sand, GFRC Ad Mix, Plasticizer, Fiber Glass, CSA Mix and Silica Fume

Wooden Leg Base:
Lenga Wood, Polyurethane Finish

Other materials:
Steel Rods and Epoxy
Process:
I sketched out designs and decided to render a couple of them through Rhino to see which one looked the best in three dimensional form. I then chose the one I liked the best:
Then I started fabricating it in real life:
I first purchased Lenga Wood that looked very aesthetically pleasing and durable for one of the table legs. I then cut the wood to the correct dimensions and design.
At the same time, I made a jig and mold for the concrete.
I then sanded and put three coats of polyurethane finish on the wood.
In the meantime, I poured concrete and failed the bending part because the concrete got too hard when bending and cracked.
After failing the first time, I re-measured the concrete mix and redid the process. I checked the temperature of the concrete every two minutes and decided to bend it when it reached 80 degrees Fahrenheit. The bending process went smoothly and after 24 hours of curing, I sanded it with the concrete angle grinder to obtain a smooth finish.
Due to the mat texture of the mold, the bended concrete finish was very rough and textured. A lot of mat was also embedded in the concrete and was very hard to remove. After sanding the piece for more than 10 hours, the finish on the concrete improved by a lot and was very smooth.
After completing the two parts, I drilled holes into both pieces to attach them together. I inserted steel rods in the holes and epoxied the rods into the holes. The two pieces then became securely attached to each other. 
Finished Product:
Back to Top